Search Site
Enforcing Hoa Rules Against A Neighbor

by lawsWhen your neighbor gets on your last nerve, you may be able to turn to you homeowners’ association (HOA) for help.

HOAs are set up to enforce certain standards for their members under the covenants, conditions, and restrictions (CC&Rs) that legally bind each member. And that includes your aggravating neighbor.

So here’s a general overview of how to legally enforce your HOA’s rules against your neighbor:

1. Get a Copy of Your HOA’s Bylaws.

Like a corporation, your HOA likely has a set of bylaws written at its creation which govern amending, restricting, or even enforcing its rules. The bylaws will likely have a specific procedure for making a complaint that a neighbor is in violation of the CC&Rs.

2. Actually Read Your CC&Rs.

Before you go around accusing your neighbor of being in violation of something, you might actually want to check the text of your CC&Rs. The CC&Rs are contractual obligations which bind each HOA member to the association’s rules. Depending on how these rules are written, your neighbor’s offending actions may fall in a “gray area” — for example, if the CC&Rs only allow for “non-offensive” holiday decorations.

3. Give Your Neighbor Notice.

Your HOA’s bylaws may require you to give your neighbor notice of a potential violation of the rules before you sick the HOA on him or her. Giving notice may also give your neighbor a chance to remedy the situation without you getting more involved. Just make sure to do it in writing (email is fine too).

4. Add the Complaint to Your HOA’s Meeting Agenda.

Contact the person in charge of the HOA’s calendar and ask that your complaint against your neighbor be added to the next meeting’s agenda.

5. Present Your Complaint to the HOA.

At the next meeting of the HOA, present your complaint to the HOA board, along with any documentation or evidence you have of your neighbor’s violation of the CC&Rs. The HOA is not a court of law, so its decision is not bound by any standards of evidence

If the HOA board denies your complaint, but you still feel your neighbor is interfering with your life in the community, you may want to contact an attorney to discuss your options.

Share this:

Like this:



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Client Reviews
  • "My name is Emilio. When I was buying my property, I hired Mr William J Reinhardt Jr as my Real Estate Attorney, it was one of the best decision I ever made because he did everything in his power to make sure my purchase was successful. For example, The utilities bills left over by the person who owned the property before me. I said thank you to Bill for not allow me to pay these costly bills." - 5.0 stars | Posted by Emilio Bien Aime | October 1, 2019

  • "Mr. William Reinhardt Jr. is my lawyer for many years. My family and I bought and sold properties with his help and were very satisfied. I recommend Mr. Reinhardt to anyone. I give him a 5-star review." - 5.0 stars | Posted by Diana | September 19, 2019

  • "My husband and I loved working with William. He was very professional, efficient and went above and beyond to help us. We would HIGHLY recommend." - 5.0 stars | Posted by Leeann | September 13, 2019

Contact us

Quick Contact Form